Friday, October 22, 2010

Sewing Machine Meme

Picture courtesy of Brother International

Browsing around Sew, Mama, Sew! we stumbled upon what they call the Sewing Machine Master List. It seems that it all started as a fun survey during June 1 , 2009 (Sewing Machine Month)


What brand and model do you have?
Brother CE-5500PRW

Yes, I'm talking about the Project Runway Limited Edition.  No, I didn't know anything about that show until after I bought my machine. I was a great machine, for the perfect price.

How long have you had it?
About a week. I bought it on 10/16/2010 to replace my Singer Pixie.

How much does that machine cost (approximately)?
It cost me $174.28 (including 7% tax)


What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?
I'm still learning, but I've used it to do some small repairs on clothing, to join granny squares, to make a skirt and to practice over and over and over again.

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?
I've been using it everyday since I bought it and some days I've been glued to it for at least 8 hours. With all that abuse, I've only had to change the needle once and it was my fault.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?
I *LOVE* my machine, but she doesn't have a name yet. She's just a newborn, but I'm open to suggestions. Any ideas?


What features does your machine have that work well for you?
I <3 its Bobbin!

I also like that it has good illumination and I really like the auto size buttonholes. Since I plan to sew lots of garments its wide variety of stitches is a big plus. It even has several stitches that are suitable for finishing garments and for stretchy materials.


Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?
Not at all.

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!

I never wanted to learn how to sew, I can't recall the specifics but I just wasn't interested in the subject. I don't know how, but a few weeks ago I got the itch to learn. All I had on hand was my Singer Pixie, but since that is best suited for Crafts it was very frustrating trying to use it for anything else. I was determined to get a descent machine, did my research and saved to buy it. I considered buying it from an authorized dealer, but my jaw dropped when the sales assistant showed me a lesser machine and told me it cost over $400. Later that day I drove to a nearby retailer and bought mine for less than half the price.

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?
Of course! It's very functional and easy to use, even for beginners. Since it's computerized, the machine will tell you (through its LCD screen) if you're doing anything terribly wrong. Also, it comes with enough accessories to keep you from having to run to buy extra stuff every time you want to try something new.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?
Since I'm on a budget, cost is high on y priority list. I see a sewing machine as an investment and I believe that its important to buy the best quality product that can be afforded. With that in mind, it is important to do research and know what features are needed for the things you want to do with your machine. Try to buy one that fits your budget and has as many of those features as possible.

Do you have a dream machine?
Yes, one of those computerized sewing/embroidery machines that can be connected to my computer in order to embroider my digital  designs into the fabric. Since all such machines are out of my budget for the moment, I don't have a favorite model yet.


-----------------------
*Disclaimer: Since I've had my machine for such a short time, I'll be editing this post to include any future discoveries in terms of its performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment